Published by Richmond Weddings Magazine
When GREEN is your wedding color!
Tips for an eco-friendly Wedding
Our planet continues to suffer and we are finally realizing that there are things we can do everyday to lessen the footprint we leave on Mother Earth. Weddings can be very wasteful, and there are many ways that we can use our resources wisely and still have a beautiful and magical day! Everyone can utilize some of these eco-friendly ideas to help keep our planet healthy for generations to come and save some money in the process.
- Venue: Plan an outdoor wedding and use nature’s naturally beautiful backdrop to enhance your big day. Utilize flower gardens, river/ocean fronts, and historical landmarks. Stay close to as many guest as possible and try to keep the number of invited guest down.
- Invitations: Use recycled paper to send invitations or plant-able seed paper, which can also double as a favor! Your guest will have a flower to remind them of you for many years. You can go one step further and send e-invitations!
- Wedding Favors: Satchels of dried lavender, soaps, homemade jellies, potted succulents are just a few of the many ideas that will save our landfills from the waste of traditional favors that are tossed aside and forgotten after the festivities of your big day.
- Flowers: It is simple to utilize local in-season flowers. You can go a step further and ensure your flowers are also organic.
- Centerpieces/Decor: Beeswax or Soy candles can create a beautiful elegant atmosphere. When floating candles are used in large cylinders of water, use 5 gallon buckets to save the water after the reception and reuse at home to water plants. These candles can also be reused. Also, pinecones, sticks, and pebbles can be incorporated with flowers to make beautiful centerpieces economical and eco-friendly.
- Catering: Find a local caterer that uses local produce that is organic and free range. Look for real dishes, glassware, silverware, tablecloths, and napkins that can be cleaned and reused. If this is not in your budget, look into using biodegradable products made from recycled material. There is no need to use plastics! Local breweries and wineries are a great resource for your beverages! Don’t waste precious fuel transporting beer and wine from around the world when we have some of the best right in our own back yards!
- Transportation: Provide a shuttle bus for out of town guest or suggest a car pool. The happy couple can also leave on horseback, bicycle or electric car. Better yet, if you are close-walk home!
- Attire: Rent your wedding attire! There are places were you can rent your gown, your bridesmaid dresses and all of the suits for your guys. Not only will you save money, you can wear a dress that would have been way outside your budget had you bought! Don’t forget about used dresses. Buy a second hand gown and resell once you have had your turn walking it down the isle.